Skanska officially opens Axis along with the first section of the Superpath
The official openings of Axis office building and the first phase of the “Superścieżka” (eng. Superpath) – the biggest placemaking project in Krakow, Poland – are already behind Skanska. ABB, a global leader specializing in power and automation technologies, has already relocated to Axis and is now the building’s main tenant.
The office project located on the junction of Krakow’s main arterial roads created a new axis combining administration and business. Moreover, a unique urban space project was developed in its vicinity. Skanska has delivered the first phase of “Superścieżka” to the city’s residents. The project consists not only of urban greenery but also of friendly spaces that encourage recreational activities, fun, education and other social initiatives.
– Following our meetings with the representatives of Skanska, as well as discussions around the construction of the Axis office building, we were keen to develop a building here that gives maximum emphasis to sustaining the local greenery. A proposal was submitted to re-develop the Eile Square, for the benefit of local inhabitants. We recommended, however, that a much broader project should be undertaken. It became necessary to include the entire space along the heavy-traffic artery into one, consistent project, so that the area between the Mogilskie and Grzegorzeckie roundabouts becomes friendly for inhabitants and other users of this space. The initiative was shared with all owners and landlords of buildings located along this section of Al. Powstania Warszawskiego, and met with positive responses – said Tadeusz Trzmiel, deputy mayor of Krakow for city investments.
– Today, we are launching the first section of “Superścieżka” (Superpath) developed by Skanska and we can proudly say that this project is truly an innovative one, even on a national scale. Drawing from international experience, we have succeeded in developing multi-stakeholder cooperation. It’s an unquestionable success because thanks to the involvement of a range of public and private entities, we have succeeded in developing a joint project for the entire area, and in the process obtained a number of administrative decisions which were necessary for the implementation of this project – added Tadeusz Trzmiel.
The ceremony was accompanied by numerous activities organized by Skanska. During the event, participants had the opportunity to play large format board games, use the picnic zones and take part in workshops for creating herbariums. Furthermore, anyone could write down any associations they have with “Superścieżka” on a specially dedicated board.
– Engagement in this unique project confirms our approach to conducting developments with the benefit of local communities in my mind. Today, we have a double occasion to celebrate as we open both the Axis office building and the “Superścieżka”. For us, this success can be put down to two things – the engagement of people in building the city together, and the businesses that are moving to this area – said Arkadiusz Rudzki, managing director at Skanska Property Poland.
Axis offers 20 000 sq. meters of flexible office space. The building attained its main tenant long before the building was delivered for use. Thanks to co-operation being started well in advance, it was possible to adjust the project during the design phase to the needs of the main tenant, a global leader in power and automation technologies.
– I am very happy that Skanska, just like ABB, pays special attention to the importance of innovative and environmentally friendly solutions. The Axis office building is equipped with ABB’s intelligent power systems as well as building automation solutions. Add to this high-standard infrastructure and comfortable working conditions all arranged in line with our Workplace 2020 strategy. Altogether these solutions encourage development of talents and consolidation of teams that will play critical role in the growth of our global organization. Therefore I strongly believe that locating our Global Business Services center in the Axis office building was a very good decision – said Pawel Lojszczyk, country managing director, ABB Poland.
The success of the office investment is also confirmed by its rapid sale to Niam fund. Axis was transferred to the investor’s portfolio together with three other office buildings developed by Skanska on regional markets in Poland.
– Niam is hugely proud and satisfied to be the owner of Axis which we consider to be a state of the art building with a great location in the beautiful and growing city of Krakow. Skanska has done a great job with the construction works and we´d like to thank them for a fruitful co-operation throughout the project. The fact that the building is green certified is very important to us as environmental and sustainable issues are on top of our agenda. Therefore the opening of the nearby Superpath feels like a real bonus and something we very much appreciate. Finally, Niam wants to welcome ABB and the other tenants to Axis with a promise to make sure that having a work place in Axis will be something extraordinary – said Erik Rydström, representative of Niam fund.
Following Kapelanka 42, Axis is the second office building developed by Skanska Property Poland in Kraków. The project consists of nine floors above ground and three below. It was designed in compliance with the principles of Scandinavian architecture. Cyclists will have locker rooms with shower cubicles and there will also be charging stations for electrical cars. The publicly available areas of the building will also include cafes and a wide range of amenities.
Axis: key facts and numbers
- Total leasable space in Axis: 20 000 sq. meters GLA
- The building offers 174 parking places and 102 bicycle racks for cyclists.
- Certification: LEED Platinum
- Skanska S.A. is the general contractor for Axis. The architectural project was designed by architectural studio ArturJasiński i Wspólnicy Biuro Architektoniczne.
- Skanska Property Poland is responsible for its commercialization.